Did you know that occupational and environmental medicine, or OEM, is the most satisfying field of medicine with the lowest rate of burnout, according to JAMA data? If you want to broaden your professional scope to care for workers, if your current job doesn’t fulfill you, or you simply desire the best work/life balance, then congratulations on discovering the hidden gem of medicine, OEM.
The process of applying to residency in OEM is slightly different from other specialties, so let's talk about how to do it. We created this hub of information for aspiring occ docs because OEM is a small field – you may not have peers or mentors with current knowledge about the process. Click to download a copy of Training in OEM: an applicant's guide.
Would you like to connect with someone to discuss the specialty or training in OEM? Contact Erin Ransford at email@example.com to speak with one of our OEM ambassadors!
How can ACOEM benefit you as a student or resident?
- ACOEM eNews: This monthly newsletter will keep you informed on the field and what is happening at ACOEM.
- Educational Courses: Further your education by registering for ACOEM’s courses on Foundations of Occupational Medicine, Medical Review Officer, Work Disability Prevention, Spirometery and more! Members receive discounted registration.
- The Annual American Occupational Health Conference (AOHC): Attend the largest gathering of OEM professionals in the U.S. for the most extensive educational offerings in Occupational and Environmental Health each year. ACOEM’s annual meeting always has an impressive array of speakers and topics.
- ACOEM Career Center: The online career center for OEM professionals. Whether you are looking for a new job opportunity or searching for a top professional to hire, the career center provides a one-stop shop.
- Special Interest Sections: Resident members of ACOEM receive complimentary membership to the Residents and Recent Graduates Special Interest Section as well as two additional sections free of cost.
- The Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (JOEM): Online access to JOEM is available to both Medical Student and Resident Members
Join ACOEM to begin accessing your benefits.
ACOEM offers special rates for residents and students.