Special Interest Section
Section Members: Log In to Access Community Site
Who Should Join?
Members are providers with an interest in Occupational and Organizational Mental Health. Members include, but are not limited to, psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, therapists, and any physician who provides services to patients and employers for mental health, substance use, and wellness related issues.
The function of our section is to create a forum for mentorship, networking, educational opportunities, and information regarding mental health, wellness, and substance use issues. We are aligned with the WHO statement that “there is no health without mental health” and believe that our members can serve as leaders for fostering this idea with employers and patients.
The objectives of this section include:
- Developing educational material, best practices, consensus opinions, and position papers for specific topics including workplace violence and safety, psychological fitness for duty, independent medical examinations, substance use in the workplace, safety-sensitive occupations, and mental health disability and recovery.
- We wish to increase the recognition of the role of mental illness and wellness in worker and organization health.
- We wish to provide a community of support for practitioners of this area of occupational medicine.
- We hope to assist ACOEM in communicating with internal and external parties about the special skills of mental health experts in assessing and managing worker and employer related mental health topics.
- We hope to encourage research in the many areas in this field which will require more scientific data to establish standards for care and evaluation.
- Create Curricula to better define the field of Occupational and Organizational Mental Health and educate future providers.
- Create and Publish Best Practice/Consensus Opinion Guidelines for Occupational and Organizational Mental Health Topics.
- Present at AOHC and regional conferences.
- Hold annual in-person meeting at AOHC.
2019-2020 Section Leaders
Gaurava Agarwal, MD, Chair
Peter D. Rumm, MD, MPH, FACPM, Vice Chair
Jennifer H. Christian, MD, MPH, FACOEM, Secretary
Nathan M. Jones, MD, Resident Ambassador