Below is a template for a position description. Use this as a guide and customize a committee description that is applicable to the component. Committee descriptions should be reviewed annually with outgoing and incoming volunteer positions to ensure accuracy.
Download a copy of the Committee Description template.
Purpose of the Committee
- Provide a 2-4 sentence overview of what the purpose of the committee is.
- Think of this as the elevator pitch when someone asks about the committee.
- Make sure to connect the committee to the mission of the organization.
- How many members make up the composition of the committee?
- Is there a chair?
- Are there defined positions within the committee?
- How often will the committee meet?
- Will meetings be via teleconference, virtually, or in-person?
- What are the high level goals this committee should accomplish?
- Are there specific goals from the strategic plan that relate to this committee?
- Does the committee report directly to the board? Is there a defined position on the executive committee or board to whom this committee reports?
- How often does this position need to report and in what format should the committee provide information?
- Include what the committee decision making authority is including empowerment and limitations.