What is a Work Breakdown Structure?
A work breakdown structure is a hierarchical breakdown of all the work products that must be carried out by team members, in order for a project to achieve its various deliverables – and ultimately, to accomplish its objectives.
Key Benefits of a Work Breakdown Structure
- Helps prevent work from “slipping through the cracks”
- Streamlines and simplifies schedule development
- Proactively identifies risks during the planning stage (e.g. unrealistic time estimates)
- Facilitates project cost estimates and resource procurement/allocation
- Enables team members to see how their contribution impacts the overall project
- Enhances communication between the project team and external stakeholders
- Establishes a visual, standard reference that can be referred to throughout the project