One of the responsibilities of a component board is determining the organization's mission and purpose. The board should define what the organization strives to achieve through a mission and vision statement. The mission describes the organization in the present
, and the vision guides the future
The mission defines why the organization exists and guides the actions and decisions of the organization. It is a statement of purpose and function that states the organization's overall goal. A mission statement may include a brief summary of what the organization does to meet the need of its existence. It should answer, "What we do . . . our purpose is...".
The mission statement should:
- Reflect the values of the organization.
- Focus on one common purpose.
Include the mission statement on the organization's website, in newsletters, on member meeting materials, and in consumer information. The organization's board, executive committees and volunteers should be educated on the mission during orientation and planning meetings.
While the mission defines what the organization does in the present the vision is an aspirational description of what the organization wants to be in the future.
To develop a vision:
- Describe the optimal future for the organization.
- Be specific to the organization.
- Be positive.
- Encompass the values of your organization.
- What do we do today?
- For whom do we do it?
- What is the benefit?
- What makes us different?
- Why do we do what we do? What, For Whom and Why?
- Where do we aim to be?
- Where do we want to be going forward?
- When do we want to reach that stage?
- How do we want to do it?
ACOEM's Mission and Vision
Use the vision, mission and values of the College as a guide to help develop the mission and vision for your component.
ACOEM provides leadership to promote optimal health and safety of workers, workplaces, and environments by:
- Educating healthcare / occupational health professionals and the public
- Enhancing the quality of OEM practice;
- Guiding workplace and public policy
- Advancing the field of occupational and environmental medicine.
Strengthening communities and workplaces by ensuring worker health, safety, and well-being and fostering a healthful environment.