The Contintuing Medical Education (CME) mission is to provide educational activities that enhance the professional capabilities related directly to the professional work of physicians practicing occupational and environmental medicine and to
- Promote physician lifelong and self-directed learning
- Improve worker/patient clinical outcomes and
- Facilitate physician effectiveness and efficiency in carrying out professional responsibilities
- Communicate the value of occupational and environmental medicine (OEM).
Content areas include a strong clinical emphasis and they cover, but are not limited to, the 10 OEM Core Competencies
- Clinical Occupational and Environmental Medicine
- OEM Related Law and Regulations
- Environmental Health
- Work Fitness and Disability Management
- Hazard Recognition, Evaluation, and Control
- Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management
- Health and Productivity
- Public Health, Surveillance, and Disease Prevention
- OEM-Related Management and Administration
The ACOEM educational activities are specifically designed for occupational and environmental medicine physicians and are also available to other health care providers with an interest in this area.
Types of Activities
- Annual American Occupational Health Conference (AOHC)
- Live educational courses
- Webinars and other on-line educational offerings
- Self-assessment programs
- The Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine (JOEM)
- Distance learning enduring materials
- Joint Provided Activities with ACOEM component societies
The ACOEM CME Program will enhance learners’ knowledge, competence and performance of skills in the core content areas, and facilitate physicians’ effectiveness and efficiency as they carry out their professional responsibilities.
The curriculum is designed to support the professional growth of OEM providers, with a focus on the prevention of work-related injury and illness and optimizing outcomes if a work injury or illness is evaluated and treated, whether their practice is focused on providing clinical care that promotes optimal functioning in a safe and healthy workplace; promoting the health of populations of workers; or providing OEM specialist expertise to complicated medical issues.
With enhancement of skills via an ongoing commitment to lifelong learning, ACOEM provides its users an unparalleled and expanding educational menu that prepares them for maintenance of licensure and certification in the practice of state-of-the-art occupational and environmental medicine.